Ah, the timeless charm of curried sausages! This dish embodies that nostalgic allure, proving itself a perennial favorite in my kitchen. There’s something special about the way those hearty browned sausages mingle with the warm, curry-infused gravy, accompanied by the crunch of carrots and the sweetness of peas. It’s a symphony of flavors that I can whip up in no time at all.
I always start with sizzling the sausages until they’re perfectly browned to lock in those juices. Then, with the same pan still echoing the sizzle, I toss in onions and garlic, sautéing them until they’re just golden and aromatic. A generous dusting of curry powder follows, its toasty scent filling the air, as I stir vigorously, letting the spices bloom.
At this stage, a sprinkle of flour is my secret weapon, transforming the mix into a velvety base. I then pour in the chicken stock gradually, stirring with intent, watching the alchemy as it thickens into a sumptuous gravy. The sausages make their comeback, along with the carrots and peas, and everything simmers into harmony. As the gravy hugs the ingredients, reaching the peak of its rich consistency, I know the dish is nearing perfection.
Serving it is a delight; whether piled atop fluffy mashed potatoes, nestled beside a mound of steaming rice, twirled into a nest of noodles, or simply accompanied by a slice of bread ready to sop up the luscious sauce—it’s a versatile star. While it may not be an authentic Indian curry, it carries the essence of its flavors in a way that’s both accessible and inviting.
In my adventures with this recipe, I’ve come to appreciate its adaptability. Tossing in some extra veggies can create a wonderful variety, and playing with the gravy’s thickness allows for personalization. What’s more, it freezes like a dream, patiently waiting to comfort me another day.
To embark on your own curried sausage journey, here’s what you’ll need and how to go about it:
Your choice of sausages—I find pork ones particularly enticing
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed into a fragrant paste
A couple of tablespoons of curry powder for that golden touch
A similar measure of flour to lay the groundwork for our gravy
A cup of chicken stock, the liquid gold of our sauce
Just a teaspoon of sugar to balance the flavors
Salt and pepper, as per your palate’s preferences
And a cup of frozen peas for a pop of color and sweetness
- Begin by browning the sausages in a sizable skillet. Once they’ve achieved that appetizing color, set them aside, and if you like, slice them into bite-sized morsels.
- In the same skillet, let the onion and garlic sweat until they’re soft and inviting.
- Next, curry powder joins the pan, sizzling for a moment to awaken its spices.
- A dash of flour is next, which I whisk into the mix, setting the stage for the gravy.
- The chicken stock is then added gradually, stirred consistently to keep the sauce smooth.
- The sausages make their return, along with the peas and sugar, simmering into a thick, rich gravy.
- A little seasoning with salt and pepper, and you’re ready to serve.
- Indulge in this heartwarming meal, sharing the comfort and flavor of curried sausages with those you cherish!
For those eager to elevate their curried sausages, consider these tips and tweaks:
Veggie Variety: Feel free to introduce additional vegetables to the mix. I’ve often added carrots, green beans, broccoli, capsicum, or mushrooms for an extra layer of taste and texture.
Creamy Potatoes: Nothing beats a creamy mashed potato to complement the robust curry flavors. It’s a match made in culinary heaven.
Remember, the beauty of this dish is in its simplicity and the warmth it brings to the table. Enjoy crafting your version of curried sausages!